Draft by the Communist Party of the Peoples of Spain
The communists signing below and coming from various countries and organizations, coincide in saying NO to the proposed EU Constitution text.
Without engaging in a detailed analysis of the Treaty that fixes the EU Constitution - a text which is entirely at the service of the great capitalist groups and against the interests the worker in the EU - we shall summarize our reasons to REFUSE this Treaty:
1) It consolidates a super-state which, by means of institutions such as its Presidency, its Foreign Affairs Ministry and its army, transfers the sovereignty from its member states (since their Constitutions are subordinated to the European one) and installs the role of the market economy as its fundamental law.
2) It reinforces the EU`s imperialist nature by means of the creation of a European Agency for Armaments, by recommending an increase in military expenses, by the acceptance of the preventive war philosophy and of its members` adherence to the NATO.
3) It is an antidemocratic text because of the way it has been produced and approved.
4) It denies the peoples` right to self-determination.
5) It only grants liberty to the great capital. Merchandise can be moved around freely whereas people are discriminated against according to their origin.
6) It legalizes lockout practices while hindering the coordination of labour strivings.
7) It facilitates the loss of jobs and consequently the increase in unemployment, as it gives big companies all the advantages to export their benefits, to fake their losses and to sell their properties.
8) It diminishes workers` rights as it refuses to maintain each country`s conquests as regards labour and social rights.
9) It puts aside the protection of the environment, as it gives total priority to competivity by reinforcing the control of multinational companies over economic laws.
10) It encourages the privatization of health and education systems, of culture, leisure activities, means of transport, communications and all kinds of services, in which it establishes freedom of market as a priority, instead of the free satisfaction of human needs in a correct way.
11) It consolidates women`s discrimination, as it does not enforce any real measure that may put an end to the gender inequalities that predominate in most aspects of society.
12) It designs a single agricultural and fishing policy subdued to the interests of big multinational food companies that will continue to provoke the ruin among independent farmers, cattle raisers and fishermen.
13) It increases the repressive role of police and army forces by legitimating their intervention in other states if "democratic institutions" are subverted.
14) It legalizes the oppression and exploitation of Third World countries, as it demands the application of its liberal criteria all over the world through the WTO (World Trade Organization) and other international institutions.
Europe, April 2005
Responsable de Relaciones Internacionales
PCPE (Partido Comunista de los Pueblos de Espanya)
C/ Carretas 14, 6…º, G-1
En Barcelona Tel+Fax 934585063